Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the Beginning

I love books, especially small books. My fascination started with a small, green, logarithm book (math symbols and formulas). I checked the small treasure out of the library when I was in junior high (middle school). It fit nicely in my hand. It was hardbound with onion sheet thin pages and the logarithm symbols were foreign but interesting. I kept the book for two weeks and caressed the pages to feel their texture and stared at the strange shapes. After that, my eyes were always on the look out for small books. I didn't find many in the 1960's.

I started reading regularly for fun after my son was born and my appetite for books was voracious. I would read at least one or two books a week. My favorites were science fiction and mysteries.

Much later in my life, I found another person who read as much as I did -- my mother-in-law. We both had large book collections. Part of her collection was her childhood books which were printed at the end of the 1800's and early 1900's. The books were small and they had the old smell that I loved. When she passed away I inherited her prized collection of small books.

A few years ago, my love of paper crafts and card making lead me to making my own small books. I'm just a beginner, but the books still fascinate me.

This blog is all about my journey with books; those I read and those I create. I don't really know where this blog will lead me, but I'm hoping it will encourage me to become more creative and to share what I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment